"Standard" housekeeping gene

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Fri Jun 24 13:24:23 EST 1994

Dear NetLanders;

What are people using as a "standard" gene to compare their favorite gene to
for quantitation? I've seen people criticize actin, tubulin, g3pdh, etc.,
but they don't seem to have anything positive to say about anybody's
controls. I'd like to also use a "standard" sequence as a control to show
that my cDNAs are good PCR templates.

Ideally, I'd like a nuclear gene conserved among mammals (but easily
distinguishable from any E. coli homolog) which has introns, does not
have spliced pseudogenes, and is expressed in every cell type, unaffected
by cell cycle (at least it should be expressed in both rapidly dividing and in
senescent cultures - they won't be carefully synchronized or anything). And
it should be polyadenylated. If no single gene fits the bill, I could use a
panel. A panel with varying levels of expression might be good, too.

Let's do a NetDiscussion, so the suggestions can get flamed here, rather
than by reviewers! So, what do y'all think about RNA polymerase II subunits
(or I or III)?