Advice re: lyophilizers requested

axelsen axelsen at axe1
Fri Jun 24 11:59:24 EST 1994

I would appreciate some advice about purchasing a lyophilizer.  I will have
relatively small volumes (<2L/day), but substantial amounts of acetonitrile
in those volumes.  Clearly, I must either use some kind of pump which is
impervious to acetonitrile, or take special precautions to protect the pump.

Specs for a Labconco lyophilizer indicate that it will refridgerate to -65C,
undoubtedly not cold enough for a substance which, when pure, melts at -45C.
Labconco has a 2-stage model which refridgerates to -112C.  Cost is about
$8000, compared to about $4000 for the -65C model.

My questions are:

1.  Is -112C cold enough to protect common pumps from acetonitrile?
2.  Are there other lyophilizers out there which would be better?
3.  Is it all-around best toset up a secondary trap on a -65C machine and
    feed it -196C liquid nitrogen as needed?
4.  Is there a better type of pump to use?

Thank you,

WRONG EMAIL SUPPLIED ABOVE.  CORRECT EMAIL IS ___
                                                /
                                               /
                                              /
                                             /

Paul H. Axelsen MD            ....   ....  .   .  .   .    215-898-9238 (ofc)
Department of Pharmacology    .   .  .     ..  .  ..  .    215-898-9766 (lab)
University of Pennsylvania    ....   ...   . . .  . . .    215-573-2236 (fax)
36th St. & Hamilton Walk      .      .     .  ..  .  ..    215-293-1659 (home)
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6084   .      ....  .   .  .   .