TCA on nucleic acid

Joseph C. Bagshaw jbagshaw at wpi.WPI.EDU
Fri Jun 24 10:27:47 EST 1994

In article <2ud4mc$co2 at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au> eqfvari at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au (Frank Vari) writes:
>Could anyone please tell me what the effect of 10% aqueous trichloroacetic
>acid (TCA) is on nucleic acids? Are there any good references that someone
>could point me in the direction of? Please Email me or post a response here.
>
>Many thanks.
>* Frank Vari at the Australian Equine Blood Typing Research Lab.    *
>* University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, Australia, 4072.    *
>*                                                                   *
>*	Email:	F.Vari at mailbox.uq.oz.au                             *
>*                                                                   *

10% TCA will precipitate DNA, RNA, proteins, and you if
your not carefull.  TCA precipitation is often used to
prepare samples for liquid scintillation counting, e.g.
proteins or R/DNA radiolabelled in vitro or in vivo.
It can also be used to precipitate proteins and concentrate
them prior to SDS PAGE.  It's not a nice thing to do if
you want to recover anything functional.

--
Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
jbagshaw at wpi.wpi.edu
Roadkill on the information superhighway.