RIPPED FROM TODAY'S HEADLINES: 2 month PCR?

Ron Kagan rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
Sun Jun 26 15:44:04 EST 1994

In article <h08QwTQ.brunker at delphi.com> , brunker at delphi.com writes:
>	I've only been doing PCR's for about a month and obviously am not
>completely up on all aspects of it.
>	However in our lab, it takes around 20 minutes or so to set up a PCR,
>a couple-three hours for it to cycle, followed by around 20 minutes or
so to
>set up a restriction enzyme digest, a couple-three hours for the digest,
then
>20 minutes or so to set up a gel and a couple-three hours for the gel to
run.

>	So if all goes smoothly we can get results in one longish day, or in
>two days if we decide to go home at a decent hour. Southern blots might
take
>a few days, DNA extractions take about two hours for a small batch.
>
>	While waiting for these procedures to complete, my colleagues
>and I will, among other things, look at the daily newspapers. And the
> papers (The Daily News and New York Newsday) claim that DNA testing in
the OJ
>Simpson case will take two months; the evening news says the same.
>
>	Two months? Are the papers and TV news just being silly again
>or are there some applicable forensic PCR procedures that commonly take
that
>long?
>
>	Marla Brunker
>	brunker at delphi.com

My guess is that the DNA fingerprinting itself *doesn't* take 2 months.
The samples are probably being sent to a busy forensics lab where they
are processing many samples from many crime scenes in California
(hundreds? thousands?).  Such a lab may be overworked and understaffed.
Presumably, there is no reason for O.J.'s samples to be processed
immediately, ahead of samples from previous crimes, so it will take some
time before they even get to them.  Of course, it is also reasonable to
assume that the fingerprinting must be repeated a number of times,
perhaps by more than one lab, before it is admissible in court.

"My Kindness is not random, and nothing senseless was ever Beautiful."

                                                 - J. Zabriskie
Ron Kagan
rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu