mtDNA Prep

daj (David Johnston) daj at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 02:20:21 EST 1994

>On 24 Jun 1994 09:46:57 -0700,
>  Bruce Elder writes:
>

>Howdy,
>
>This question is for a friend of mine. Are there any "new" methods
>for isolating mitochondrial DNA from mammalian tissues? I know the
>"old" way was to CsCl band it, but was wondering if any other methods
>are available.

I have seen a reference for purifying fish mitochondrial DNA using plasmid
purification kits (sorry, can't find the ref but I think it was Canadian
Journal of Fish Biol or some similar title and was about 6 months ago).
However, if you are only wanting to PCR from the mitochondria, just do a
standard proteinaseK, "phenol" extraction, ethanol ppt type exercise and
there will be plenty enough mitochondrial template in the template.

Cheers
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB. England
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ac.uk)