Thermal Cyclers

KUN Celbiologie kuncelb3 at
Wed Jun 29 01:11:59 EST 1994

lab_winoto at (Winoto lab) writes:

>In article <maris-150694084244 at>
>maris at (John Maris) writes:

>> We would like to purchase a machine that has the feature of a heater cover
>> like the 9600 to avoid oil overlay but would like to have multiple blocks.
>> Does such a machine exist?

>Yes!  Check out the Thermolyne Temp-Tronic thermocycler.  We tested it
>in our lab and it worked just as well as the PE, at a significantly
>lower price.  Their unit also comes with a heated lid to make oil
>overlays unnesessary.  Call 1-800-553-0039 for more info.

I have been warned by some people that these Thermolyne thermocyclers use
another heating method (Peltier elements) than the PE cyclers, and that
these Peltier elements have a very short lifespan. I don't know if this
was thoroughly tested, but I think it's worth trying to get some more
information about this.

Good luck with it!

Henri Molhuizen
Dep. of Dermatology