Can a polyclonal AB distinquish between two very similar proteins

Paul J Travers p_travers at icrf.icnet.uk
Thu Jun 23 07:32:43 EST 1994

In article <2uaoqa$oec at matt.ksu.ksu.edu>, jaishre at ksu.ksu.edu (Jaishree
Muppala Chittoor) wrote:

> Hi,
> Can a polyclonal AB raised against a synthetic peptide (MNLAPLDT) be able
> to distinguish between a protein with this sequence and a protein that
> shows >70% sequence identity with it.  This other protein has SNLAPVDT as its
> sequence at the corresponding region.

	I agree with Shahram Mori that a definitive answer is hard to give to a
question such as this - but I have a practical suggestion.  You can always
make the antiserum to the M----L peptide then absorb the antiserum on the
S----V peptide to remove any crossreacting antibodies.  I can't guarantee
you'll have any activity left at the end though ....

                                        Paul

--
Paul J Travers                          phone : +44-(0)71-631-6862 (office)
ICRF Structural Biology Unit             "       "       "    6868 (lab)
London WC1E 7HX                         email :  p_travers at icrf.icnet.uk
England                                    or :  paul at histo.cryst.bbk.ac.uk