SDS-PAGE-resistant protein complexes

Paul J Travers p_travers at icrf.icnet.uk
Tue Jun 21 12:08:02 EST 1994

In article <Mailstrom.1.03.12087.15089.agibson at acs.ucalgary.ca>,
agibson at ACS.UCALGARY.CA (Allan Gibson) wrote:

> Hi!  Has anyone on the net ever had experience with protein complexes that are
> not dissociated under normal SDS-PAGE conditions, i.e. brief boiling in SDS
> sample buffer containing 2% SDS and 5% 2-mercaptoethanol. If so, I'd appreciate
> very much hearing from you and finding what conditions, if any, might break such
> a complex into its components.  Thanks.

Allan,
	Peptide-associated MHC class II heterodimers are characterised by a
relatively high resistance to dissociation by boiling in SDS sample buffer
for short times (around 2 minutes).  They will dissociate on extended
boiling (>5 minutes) or by adding urea to the sample buffer.  Heterodimers
without associated peptide will dissociate without boiling.

                       Paul

--
Paul J Travers                          phone : +44-(0)71-631-6262 (office)
ICRF Structural Biology Unit             "       "       "    6268 (lab)
London WC1E 7HX                         email :  p_travers at icrf.icnet.uk
England                                    or :  paul at histo.cryst.bbk.ac.uk