gels sticking to glassplate

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Wed Jun 29 17:24:35 EST 1994

> In article <peter.thoren.9.2E0FEF77 at>, peter.thoren at
> (Peter Thorin) says:
> >
> >I4m running microsatellites in a 6% seq.gel. My problem is that sometimes when
> >I split the glassplates the gel will stick to both plates. That is of course
> >not good so my question is: Are there anything I can use that is cheap and
> >easy, besides repellsilane, to solve this problem?
> I have always used a 1:200 solution of Kodak's 'Photoflow'
> Unlike silane, photoflow is also nontoxic, BTW.

You could try Rainex as well.  It's probably cheaper than photoflow and
works very well.  It can be purchase at stores like K-mart or any autoparts

Just put a little on the plates and spread it out with a paper towel.  Rub
lightly until the plates FEEL siloconized (<30 sec).  Then wash the plates
with a mild detergent.  I usually wash them with 70 or 100% etoh just
before I use them.
Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at         LandLine: 401-456-6572
America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to
decadence without touching civilization:  John O'Hara