Isolation of Total RNA from just about anything

fzestabr at chip.ucdavis.edu fzestabr at chip.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 29 16:26:21 EST 1994

Dear Anthony

Concerning your RNA gel problems

My  suggestion: if all you want to do is see the RNA then run a
nondenaturing gel.

Just to verify my RNA samples I routinely run them on 0.5X TAE gels, 1%
agarose and then stain the gels after electrophoresis in the same manner
as DNA gels. You should be able to clearly see your RNA marker (I use 3
ug of the BRL ladder) and RNA sample ( I can clearly see the ribosomal
RNA bands if I use 4 ug of rna). Of course all solutions are made RNAse
free. Before loading my RNA I generally heat it to 90-100 C in the
really necessary or not, it is just something I do.