QIAGEN resin

Amos H Heckendorf nestgrp at world.std.com
Wed Jun 29 16:03:40 EST 1994

Joseph C. Bagshaw (jbagshaw at wpi.WPI.EDU) wrote:
: In article <CrI309.7L3 at ncifcrf.gov> pnh at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) writes:
: > In article <2thoqf$l1b at bigboote.WPI.EDU>
: > jbagshaw at wpi.WPI.EDU (Joseph C. Bagshaw) writes:
: >
: >> "QIAGEN-tips contain a unique, patented anion-exchange resin
: >> ...
: >
: >> If you visit aQIAGEN display at a meeting, they will openly
: >> tell you that the anion exchanger is diethyl aminoethyl, good
: >> old DEAE.
: >
: >Someone told me recently that this resin is not unique and was actually
: >developed by another company, namely Macherey-Nagel, Duren, Germany. This same
: >chemistry is sold by them as Nucleobond[R] AX. Are they in fact the same? Any
: >comments?
: >
: >*******************************************************************************
: >* Paul N. Hengen, Ph.D.                           /--------------------------/*
: >* National Cancer Institute                       |Internet: pnh at ncifcrf.gov |*
: >* Laboratory of Mathematical Biology              |   Phone: (301) 846-5581  |*
: >* Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center|     FAX: (301) 846-5598  |*
: >* Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA              /--------------------------/*
: >*******************************************************************************
: This may well be true, since Qiagen is the American offspring of
: Diagen GmbH.  All my packages of Qiabrane nylon membrane are clearly
: labelled "made in Germany".  I assume all their stuff is made in
: Germany.  But why would the same manufacturer market the same
: material through a competing US company?

Macherey-Nagel or Qiagen?

To clarify the misinformation on the relationship of Qiagen/Diagen and
Macherey-Nagel (MN), Colpan and Reisner from the Univ. Dusseldorf came up
with the original chemistry and exclusively licensed MN to make it.
Subsequently, Diagen/Qiagen applied for another patent on it.  The
subsequent litigation went against Qiagen and they settled out of court
granting Macherey-Nagel a royalty free license.  MN does not use this chemistry
however.  They have a DEAE/QAE or a mixture of them as their chemistry,
they have a different spacer arm and they use different silica from
Qiagen, which allows them to handle much larger supercoiled plasmids
(ca.200+KD) or baculovirus DNA than does Qiagen, although we need
additional data to be definitive on the extent of this.

Macherey-Nagel was founded in 1911 and is a $40 million company selling
silicas for chromatography, filter papers, and test kits.  They are not
associated with Qiagen or Diagen in any way.

Nucleobond AX is imported by The Nest Group, Southboro, MA 800-347-6378
and is technically supported there.  If you have general questions about
why these kits (Qiagen or Nucleobond) are not working send us an email at
nestgrp at world.std.com or call for the sales and sample information