gels sticking to glassplate

L. Sumoy Sumoy at mbcg.uchc.edu
Thu Jun 30 08:36:42 EST 1994

In article  <peter.thoren.9.2E0FEF77 at genetik.uu.se>,
peter.thoren at genetik.uu.se
> (Peter Thorin) says:
> >
> >I4m running microsatellites in a 6% seq.gel. My problem is that sometimes when
> >I split the glassplates the gel will stick to both plates. That is of course
> >not good so my question is: Are there anything I can use that is cheap and
> >easy, besides repellsilane, to solve this problem?

We do not treat the plates in any way. Just wash them real nice with 7X
detergent, dry them with 70% Ethanol and clean again with a glass
cleaner (we use Windex). Although the gel may in some cases initially
stick to both plates, it is not difficult to drive it to either one;
most of the time it stays with one of the plates to begin with.
(I have never used siliconized plates so I do not know the difference).
Hope this helps,
Lauro.