T7 RNA polymerase inhibitor

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Thu Jun 30 15:42:27 EST 1994

In <2E1098C2 at smtpgate.lifesci.ucla.edu>, HarryY at MICROBIO.LIFESCI.UCLA.EDU ("Yim, Harry               M'bio") writes:
>Does anyone know of an EFFECTIVE inhibitor of T7 RNA polymerase?
>Specifically I am looking for something that inhibits initiation but
>not elongation.  I am studying RNA folding and so an additional requirement
>would be that it not affect RNA:RNA interactions.  I have searched in the
>literature and there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile.  Thanks.
>
>Harry Yim
>UCLA

Yes, T7 lysozyme is an effective inhibitor of T7 RNAP. It certainly inhibits
initiation, and I expect -- but don't know -- that it cannot attach to
elongating RNAP. Since it is not toxic to E. coli, it probably has no gross
effect on RNA:RNA interactions. It is available from Bill Studier or from
Novagen as clone pLysE, in E. coli BL21(DE3)/pLysE.

|  Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
|  Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
|  University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
|  2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |