formaldehyde in RNA gel

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Thu Jun 30 15:24:26 EST 1994

In <sticknbd-240694003804 at 160.129.125.10>, sticknbd at miranda.cc.vanderbilt.edu (B Stickney) writes:
>I use 0.22M formaldehyde in both the gel and the
>running buffer for my Northerns.  I do this because
>I have heard that transfer of RNA from the gel to a
>membrane is supposed to be inhibited by formalde-
>hyde; my Northerns are fine.  Can anybody tell me
>the mechanism of this transfer inhibition?
>sticknbd at miranda.cc.vanderbilt.edu

Formaldehyde is not needed in the gel or runing buffer. The denatured RNA is
covalently modified and doesn't renature under normal gel running conditions.

|  Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
|  Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
|  University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
|  2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |