Sequencing phenomenon

Andrea M Skantar skantar at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 2 15:23:08 EST 1994

Perhaps this has been covered before, if so, pardon the repetition. Does
anyone know what causes a wierd phenomenon in sequencing gels where the
tracking dye in the center goes SLOWER than on the edges?  I've heard
about the dye going slower at the edges and faster in the center being
due to non-uniform heating of the gel, but this is a new one on me.  It
gives the gel like a fish-eye effect at the bottom.  I've gotten readable
sequence from such gels but it sure looks wierd.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andrea