inducible promoters

norm eberhardt eberhard at Mayo.EDU
Wed Mar 2 08:14:25 EST 1994

In article <wjia.1112929527D at 137.82.194.1>, wjia at unixg.ubc.ca (William W.-G. Jia) writes:
|> Hi, there,
|>      A few days a ago, I posted a question regarding inducible promoters. I
|> think I need to specify it more. What I would like to know is an inducible
|> promoter that works in mammalians (rat, mouse, maybe caw?) in vivo.  For my
|> specific interest, I need an inducible promoter working in the brain. But I
|> am also interested in anything works in other organs.  At this point, I
|> think what I mean "work" is that it can be induced by a non-toxic substance.
|> The ratio of induction may be the next criteria.

	There are several, including heat shock promoter, glucocorticoid
reponsive promoter driven by the MMTV LTR, metalothionein promoter which is
inducible by heavy metals; however, these promoters suffer due to leakiness in
the inactive state or from other effects secondary to the agents which affect the
promoters induction.  An alternative that you might consider is the
tetracycline-responsive promoter described by Gossen and Bujard, Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. USA 89: 5547-5551 (1992).  We have found this promoter to be very
effective with a very low background and very high induction ratios (ca. 200- to
300-fold).  It is a bit tricky becuase it requires integration of two genes, if
you are interested in developing stable cell lines.

Good Luck,

Norman L. Eberhardt