Catrimox-14 for RNA isolation?

douglas l feinstein dlfeins at cumc.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 3 13:58:49 EST 1994

Subject: Catrimox-14 for RNA isolation?
From: Richard R. Hardy, hardy at mighty.fccc.edu
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 1994 15:55:43 -0500

Subject: Re: Catrimox-14 for RNA isolation?
From: RICHARD P. PHIPPS, PHIP at BPHVAX.BIOPHYSICS.ROCHESTER.EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 15:47:18 GMT
In article <1994Mar3.154718.28814 at galileo.cc.rochester.edu> RICHARD P.
PHIPPS, PHIP at BPHVAX.BIOPHYSICS.ROCHESTER.EDU writes:
>In <hardy-020394155543 at mighty.facs.fccc.edu> hardy at mighty.fccc.edu
writes:

>> Any opinions (pro or con) on the purity and yield of RNA isolated by
the
>> cationic surfactant reagent?  Does it work well with very small
numbers of
>> cells (ie, 100-100,000)?
>>
>> --
>> R. Hardy
>> Member, ICR,
>> Fox Chase Cancer Center
>> (215) 728-2463
>
>As an additional question, has anyone worked out a way to use this
reagent to
>isolate RNA from tissues?
>
>Rick Willis
>University of Rochester Cancer Center

*****
	I've used it for isolation RNA from cultured cells from a 24 well plate.
The OD 260 and 280 were good (>1.8 ratio). The yields were acceptable,
but not as good as other methods (standard NP40 lysis method or GuHCl).
The RNA was OK for PCR work. So...so far it seems a good product.

dlf
Doug Feinstein																	 |  Voice:   212 570-2900
Dept Neurobiology															|	Fax:      212 988-3672
Cornell University Medical College    |  E-mail: dlfeins at cumc.cornell.edu
We're not the best at what we do, but we're the only ones who do it...