Coomassie staining

Przemko przemko at reks.uia.ac.be
Thu Mar 3 03:17:15 EST 1994

>Anne writes:
>>I have a question about Coomassie staining.  I have tried searching
>>Medline, but needless to say, asking about Coomassie generates far too
>>many references.  What I would like to know is this:  what about a
>>protein makes it Coomassie stainable?  Are some proteins less susceptible
>>to Coomassie staining than others?  If so, why?
>>
>>I would appreciate any information.  If you can point me to a reference,
>>so much the better.
>See
>1.  Neuhoff V, Stamm R, Eibl H. Clear background and highly sensitive
>protein staining with Coomassie blue dyes in polyacrylamide gels: A
>systematic analysis. . Electrophoresis  1985 6:427-448 .
>and
> 2. Neuhoff V, Mesecke, S. Hoppe-Seyler's Z. Physiol. Chemistry. 1977 358:
>1623-1637

Well, I remember, at some point in my former lab we worked with a
protein containing 30% of serines, most of them phosphorylated.
Coomassie did not stain it, silver did not stain it only Stains All
did. And that was because of the strong negative charge. In fact, after
Comassie stain we would get some nonspecific background staining and
our protein band would give clear gel ( a sort of negative if you know
what I mean). So, I would guess that, at least partially, charge would
be important in Comassie stain.
Przemko