DNA analysis programs

Rick Hershberger rphershb at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 4 00:04:39 EST 1994

In article <CM3sHL.IHo at ucdavis.edu>, dobates at ucdavis.edu (Dave Bates)
wrote:

> Can anyone who has used DNA analysis programs give a short review of
> what they think of them. Especially if you have ever used more than one
> and can give a comparitive review. ...
>
> I would specifically be interested in reviews for MacVector, Geneworks,
> DNAsys, Gene construction Kit, MacPlasmid (??).

Peter Markowitz (sp?) from UCLA has written an excellent overview of just
about all of the available molecular biology software for the macintosh.  I
don't know how current the file is, but it's available via anonymous ftp
from ftp.bio.indiana.edu in directory /molbio/mac/pm-macinmolbio.txt.  I
suspect the other files named pm-something are Peter's reviews also, and
are applicable to your question.  Peter's done a really nice job with this
comparison - a "must read" for prospective buyers.  It even covers
free/shareware.

My personbal bias is Gene Construction Kit.  If most of what you need it to
do is plan and track cloning projects, it's got a nice interface.

 _  _  |_  RICK HERSHBERGER, PH.D. * Postdoctoral Fellow