DNA FROM OLD SAMPLES

James D DeVault DEVAULT at VM1.NODAK.EDU
Thu Mar 3 16:43:16 EST 1994

 We are going to be running PCR on some insect samples dating back
 to 1935.  The whole insect was collected, and then placed in what
 we believe to be isopropanol.  Now the question..... will we need
 to do anything special to these guys to get amplifiable DNA.  We have
 plenty of samples from 1970 (for practice) but we only have limited
 numbers from 1960 on back.  The goal of the project is to clone and
 sequence a gene from the same organism over time.  Our current method
 of DNA isolation involves CTAB.  Any ideas woulkd be great!

 Thanx
 jim DeVault