DNA Nomenclature

David A. Adler dadler at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 4 19:24:38 EST 1994

In article <2l7ket$7j6 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> mjones at crc.ac.uk (Dr. M.D. Jones)
writes:
..
> Unfortunately to my mind, I find it logically to call it the reverse.  >
> In that the mRNA carries the coding information, and the DNA
>  strand that is equivalent to this should be the coding strand,
>  but this is usually refered to as > > the  'non-coding'.

> Confusing eh :-)

We have also experienced this confusion among some in the lab, and you
didn't mention (+) and (-) strand or Watson strand and Crick strand. So we
have come to using a new nomenclature which we offer for general
acceptance:
the Beavis strand and the Butthead strand. Sometimes hard to tell which is
which, eh? Butthead being the smarter, yes?, although they may have the
same father, of course is the template for transcription. Clear as mud
now?
:)
David
(It's Friday pm and I needed a little venting - please minimize the "waste
of bandwidth" flames)
--
David A. Adler                  Pathology SM-30
University of Washington        Seattle, WA 98195