protein purification column

Warren Wakarchuk Wakarchu at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Fri Mar 4 23:09:21 EST 1994

In article <Hong_Liu-040394164711 at ortd2.life.uiuc.edu> Hong_Liu at qms1.life.edu.uiuc (Hong Liu) writes:
>From: Hong_Liu at qms1.life.edu.uiuc (Hong Liu)
>Subject: protein purification column
>Date: Fri, 04 Mar 1994 16:47:11 -0600

>Hi! Dear Netters:
>      I want to purify a protein with pI of 4.5 and MW of 35KD from plant
>leaves.  Now I consider to use a cation exchange column for this purpose.
>I have no idea about the matrix I need to buy and the company I should go
>to.  If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about the purification of this
>protein, please reply to this email.  Thank you very much!

  At the risk of sounding rude, you might consider reading something about
protein purification before launching into buying things.  Firstly with an
acidic protein you would not likley use a cation exchange column.  I would
suggest you check out any basic biochemistry lab manual and you will find
guide lines for how to plan a purification.  You also need to supply more
information about your protein if you want suggestions about purification.
This is not meant as a flame, as a I think you have posted to the right
place for help, but to be able to decide what to do with the advice you need
some background :-).
Warren Wakarchuk              Email:  wakarchu at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Immunochemistry                       warren at nrcbs8.bio.nrc.ca
IBS-NRCC
Ottawa, Ont.  CANADA
**Any opinions stated here are my own, not NRC's**