Quantifying minute amounts of DNA?

littgj at wmvx.lvs.dupont.com littgj at wmvx.lvs.dupont.com
Fri Mar 4 13:04:17 EST 1994

In article <dress-030394171318 at chuck.biosci.arizona.edu>, dress at biosci.arizona.edu (Virginia Dress) writes:
>In article <2kd3t1$rp3 at eldborg.rhi.hi.is>, hbriem at rhi.hi.is (Helgi Briem
>Magnusson) wrote:
>>
>> Hello Netters.
>>    Does anyone have a protocol for measuring the amount of
>> DNA when you only have a tiny amount available, i.e. too
>> little to visualize on an EtBr-agarose gel and too little
>> to give a reading at 280nm when diluted?
>>    Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards, Helgi Briem
>> Inst. Exp. Pathol.
>> Keldur, Iceland
>
>I tried quantifying DNA years ago with a fluorimeter and the Hoechst dye
>and
>like someone else said it was very unreliable.  My problem was the baseline
>drift of the fluorimeter, it was an old fluorimeter.  Sounds like things
>haven't
>gotten any better.  A260/280 has actually worked very well for me,

>0.5-1ul/ml
Molecular Devices (415-322-4700) makes an instrument called
Threshold which, I understand, is designed to detect between
2 and 200 pg of total DNA. It is designed for the biophrmacei...
biopharmaceutical industry for contaminant DNA and if itr isn't
prohibitively expensive, might be considered for this use. (I
have no connection with them!)