Urgent-vacine needed

David S. Lee davidlee at umich.edu
Mon Mar 7 23:06:09 EST 1994

In article <2lg6nt$9l3 at news.umbc.edu>, viancour at umbc.edu (Terry Viancour)

> We will appreciate anyone's urgent reply about the fastest way to
> obtain "VACUNA ANTINEUMOCOXICA" (name in spanish; presumably it's
> called antineumococcic vaccine in english). The mentioned vaccine
> is not available in our country; neither is it in Chile nor Uruguay.
> The only information we have is the commercial name "NEUMO VAX",
> supposedly by laboratories MRCK SHARP.

PNEUMOVAX 23 is the brand name of Merck Sharp & Dohme's brand of
Pneumococcal Vaccine.  It's effective against 23 of the most prevalent or
invasive pneumococcal types, which account for 90%+ of pneumococcal blood
isolates, at least in the US.  Their general address is:  Merck & Co, Inc.,
West Point, PA  19486, USA.

PNU-IMUNE 23 is the brand name of Lederle's product, which is basically the
same as Merck's product.  Lederle's general address is:  Lederle
Laboratories Division, American Cyanamid Company, Pearl River NY 10965,

Sorry, I don't have Merck's or Lederle's phone numbers handy.

> Any help leading to locating a supplier of the drug, in any country,
> and a way to urgently contact him will be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Hope this helps.

David S. Lee (davidlee at umich.edu)
Kresge Hearing Research Institute