parts to make automated oligo synthesizer

daj (David Johnston) daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 06:04:29 EST 1994

On 4 Mar 1994 21:18:34 -0600,
  Mike Klopfer writes:

>I'm interested in making an oligonucleotide synthesizer (from scratch or at
>least inexpensively) and was hoping I could get some help/pointers on getting
>parts. I saw a peptide synthesizer that was made from PTFE (whatever that is)
>tubing and was hoping that this same kind of tubing could be used for a dna
>synthesizer. Or at least some tubing that is flexible so that for valves I
>can just pinch the tubing. Protocols that are as simple as possible while
>still being inexpensive would be useful. I've seen the 1984 practical approach
>book and the 1987? methods in enzymology but these start with making the
>phosporamidites? which might be unnecessary since they are available
>already prepared which would be preferable for developing a minimal
>contraption.  Thanks.
>
>klopfer at natinst.com

Hi,
(1) PTFE =Teflon (poly tetra fluro ethylene?)
(2) OMNIFIT (po box 56, 2005 Park St, Atlantic Beach, New York, 516 239
1655, fax 516 371 0049) sell miniature teflon valves, manifolds, tubing,
solvent jars etc for you to make your own, or they sell it assembled.
1990 price in UK #676 for single column set up, 816 for 2 column job, 972
for 4 column job.

They also sell useful bits like teflon frits if you want to make columns
for resin purification of DNA etc.

No connection with the company, and never yet purchased from them, I just
like collecting potentially useful catalogues.
Cheers,
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)