DNA amplification from silver-stained gels

dkim at unm.edu dkim at unm.edu
Mon Mar 7 15:49:18 EST 1994

RE: silver stain gels and DNA amplification. I have used the procedure in
BioTechniques (roughly) and found that I can get a detectable band from
only one round of re-amplification, although I often get two or three bands.
This is probably attributable to an unsteady hand in excising the band (too
much coffee)..

My impression was that the several rounds of amplification were necessary
to purify the band to homogeneity.

The authors claim is that silver doesn't affect PCR.

Daniel Kim (kim at flovax.lanl.gov)