Degenerate PCR - Sequencing?

Jim Gerlach GERLACHJ at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Mon Mar 7 13:59:35 EST 1994

We have been doing PCR with degenerate primers (17mers, usually 256 fold)
and obtaining products in the 150-300 bp size. After doing restriction
digests to establish that we had produced some non-human products we are now
ready to sequence. We could, of course, clone and sequence in a conventional
fashion but I'm wondering what are the chances of doing sequencing using the
degenerate primers. Anyone tried this (or some other nice trick)? Thanx for
any sugguestions or help.

Cheers,
Jim
-------
Jim Gerlach                               Cancer Research Laboratories
gerlachj at qucdn (BITNET)                   Queen's University
gerlachj at qucdn.queensu.ca (InterNet)      Room A309, Botterell Hall
tel (613) 545-6446                        Kingston, Ontario
fax (613) 545-6830                        Canada K7L 3N6