Dyes for PCR

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:29:41 EST 1994

Duncan Clark (Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi Folks,
: A year or so ago, someone published an article in Biotechniques listing
: food colourings/dyes that are compatible with PCR. 'Cos I'm so organised
: I've lost/misfiled the paper. Can anyone enlighten me with the dye/source.
: Any new ones would also be interesting.

The reference is:
Hoppe, B.L., Conti-Tronconi, B.M., and Horton, R.M. Gel-loading dyes compatible with PCR. BioTechniques 12(5):679-680, 1992.
Amersham (I believe) sells dye-colored radionucleotides under the trade name
Redivue. The red dye they use is quite intense, and does not appear to inhibit
PCR, but they won't tell what it is...

Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790