Dyes for PCR

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:29:41 EST 1994

Duncan Clark (Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi Folks,
:
: A year or so ago, someone published an article in Biotechniques listing
: food colourings/dyes that are compatible with PCR. 'Cos I'm so organised
: I've lost/misfiled the paper. Can anyone enlighten me with the dye/source.
: Any new ones would also be interesting.
:

The reference is:
Hoppe, B.L., Conti-Tronconi, B.M., and Horton, R.M. Gel-loading dyes compatible with PCR. BioTechniques 12(5):679-680, 1992.
Amersham (I believe) sells dye-colored radionucleotides under the trade name
Redivue. The red dye they use is quite intense, and does not appear to inhibit
PCR, but they won't tell what it is...

-Bob

Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790