bacteriocidal agent & calli

Naresh C. Pancholi abrpanch at reading.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 11:02:00 EST 1994

On 8 Mar 1994 brwgor01 at uctvax.uct.ac.za wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> A collegue of mine wishes to know if there is a bacterocidal agent available
> which can be used in plant tissue culture which will not affect the
> regeneration of calli.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gordon Brown
> Department of Microbiology
> UCT
> South Africa
> email: Gordon at micro.uct.ac.za

Hello,
I have used a Sigma product named "Antibiotic Antimycotic Solution (a
cocktail of penicillin, streptomycin and amphotericin B)" at different
dosages and I found that at the lower dose this didn't control pathogens
but at higher doses (I forgot the exact doses; please mail me if you are
interested) this cocktail controlled pathogens effectively but at the same
time it worked as a phytotoxic against banana rhizome tissue from
which I was trying to induce callus.  However, I managed to adjust a
balance between the effectivity of cocktail and callus production.
I hope this will help at some extent.

|  Naresh Pancholi       abrpanch at reading.ac.uk |
|  Agricultural Botany   Phone: +44 734 318092  |
|  Reading University    Fax:   +44 734 316577  |
|  Reading RG6 2AS                              |
|  UK                                           |