Adding Restriction sites to Primers

David I Resnick dresnick at athena.mit.edu
Wed Mar 9 16:11:07 EST 1994

In article <940309084116.2401704d at vax1.utulsa.edu> BMA14432 at vax1.utulsa.edu writes:

   Hello netters,
   I've picked a couple of primers to PCR my target and now wouuld like to
   add restriction sites to the 5' ends of them. What are the
   pitfalls, if any, to be avoided in doing this. Any helpful hints or
   anecdotes will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

The New England Biolabs catalog (No, I have no connection) has a list
how efficiently different enzymes will cut oligos of different lengths
containing their particular restriction site in the center.  Enzymes
which won't cut these oligos well probably won't cut near the end of a
PCR product too well either.  You might want to choose your sites
accordingly....

       David Resnick                           dresnick at athena.mit.edu