Dictyostelium HELP

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Wed Mar 9 15:24:11 EST 1994

In Article <199403091732.JAA24694 at net.bio.net>, MUNGO at UVVM.UVIC.CA wrote:
>We are using Dictyostelium discoideum in a developmental biology teaching
>lab.  Our problem is that we can't get it to grow predictably.  We are
>using a culture from Carolina and their instructions say that we should
>streak bacteria then sporocarps on a lactose agar plate.  When we do we
>get a hell of  a lot of bacteria, and the mature sporocarps arise straight
>out of the thick bacterial colonies.  We need the migrating slugs and they
>are not apparent on the plates.

[Stuff deleted]

   My reading on Dictyosteleum says that the slugs form when the food supply
dwindles.  The slugs are a stage on the path to sporulation.  If you have a
lot of bacteria, maybe the amoebas won't start forming slugs because they
are still feeding.
   What you may need to do is get rid of the bacteria and just get the
amoebas growing in a low nutrient environment.
  Good luck,
Warren Gallin,
Department of Zoology, University of Alberta
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca