In Vivo Transfection

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at ocicl.oci.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 9 10:14:40 EST 1994

> Does anyone know a way to transfect in vivo, I'm working on chick
> embryos and was wondering if I could transfect in some DNA to a select
> area.  I have retroviral vectors, but that's not going to do what I am
> trying to accomplish.
>
> Sue Jeffrey
> sjeffrey at mskcc.org

You could try bolistic transfection. This method involves coating particles
with DNA and literally shooting them at cells or organisms using explosive
pressure.  As an example, there's a paper by   Lauren Pecorino, Don Lo and
Jeremy Brockes in the February 94 (I think) issue of Development using
bolistic transfection to express reporters in newt cells.  The downside is
the expense of the device, but if it works........

Jim Woodgett