Dictyostelium HELP

Virginia Dress Dress at biosci.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:46:37 EST 1994

In article <199403091732.JAA24694 at net.bio.net>, MUNGO at UVVM.UVIC.CA wrote:

> We are using Dictyostelium discoideum in a developmental biology teaching
> lab.  Our problem is that we can't get it to grow predictably.  We are
> using a culture from Carolina and their instructions say that we should
> streak bacteria then sporocarps on a lactose agar plate.  When we do we
> get a hell of  a lot of bacteria, and the mature sporocarps arise straight
> out of the thick bacterial colonies.  We need the migrating slugs and they
> are not apparent on the plates.  Can anyone help us here PLEASE, any method
> that will allow us to get the slugs will help.  We aren't sure if we are
> supposed to be making a lawn of bacteria from liquid culture (we aren't) then
> innoculating with sporocarps.  Any help appreciated, if we are being just
> plain ignorant (as oppossed to stupid...) tell us
> Thanks
> Mungo

I've only worked with strain Ax2, so I don't know what sort of variability
there
is for growth requirements for the different strains of Dicty.  What strain
are
you using?  If you get back to me with that info I may be able to help you.
also have a reference for growing Dicty that has a very good description on
how
to get slugs.  You won't get slugs unless the cells are starved, and
they're not
going to starve much on a thick bacterial lawn (just in a tiny local area,
which
will make it hard to see slugs).  Also sounds like you are not laying down
the
bacterial lawn, but are just getting the bacteria from the air, so it
sounds
like you need to work on sterile technique (or you need a better (=cleaner,
no
draft) area to work in.  I'll check on the reference and post it.

Virginia Dress
dress at biosci.arizona.edu
University of Arizona
Dept. of Biochemistry