Advantages of 33-P

jost at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au jost at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Thu Mar 10 22:28:09 EST 1994

Could anyone out there enlighten me on the advantages of 33-P over 32-P.
I understand that 33-P is a weaker emitter than 32-P, but apart from that
are there any other advantages, longer half-life for example.

Specifically, we want the use it for primer extension, so if there's anyone
who's actually used 33-P for this application, I be happy to hear from you.

Incidently, has anyone seen/done any methods for primer extension using a
non-radioactively labelled primer.  There are plenty of non-radioactive
sequencing methods out there.  It would just be a matter of labelling the
primer with something that wouldn't affect mobility (sure!).

Any thoughts appreciated,

Helen Jost,
Microbiology,
Monash University,