Adding Restriction sites to Primers

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Thu Mar 10 08:19:52 EST 1994

BMA14432 at vax1.utulsa.edu wrote:
: Hello netters,
: I've picked a couple of primers to PCR my target and now wouuld like to
: add restriction sites to the 5' ends of them. What are the
: pitfalls, if any, to be avoided in doing this. Any helpful hints or
: anecdotes will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

	This has been discussed a LOT before, so it would be worth it for
you to check the archives of this group (via GOPHER to Indiana:IUBIO is one
way to do so).  Briefly, the only probelm to avoid is making usre that
the restriction enzyme you choose is able to cut very near the end of a
ds-DNA molecule.  I use BamHI and EcoRI with only 3 bp extensions off the
end after the recognition site, and they work fine.  Some enzymes will
not cut unless the site is a fair distance from the end of a molecule.