DNA Nomenclature

Paul Riggs riggs at neb.com
Fri Mar 11 11:27:14 EST 1994

In article <wgallin.1113196281A at NEWS.SRV.UALBERTA.CA>,
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Warren Gallin) wrote:

> In Article <2l7ket$7j6 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, mjones at crc.ac.uk (Dr. M.D. Jones)
> wrote:

 [stuff deleted]
> >One DNA strand is identical in sequence to mRNA.  This is called the non-coding
> >strand or sense strand.
> >The other complementary strand is thus the coding strand or anti-sense strand.
[more stuff deleted]
> Confusing, I agree.  I always thought that coding strand and sense strand
> were synonymous.  The information being coded is for protein seqeunce, and
> that information is in the sense strand.  Did I miss something in a basic
> lecture?
> Warren Gallin,

In my lab we have this discussion at least once a year. According to Lewin
(Genes II, p88), the coding strand is the one with the same sequence as the
mRNA, thus coding = sense. I like sense and antisense better since they are
more intuitive. I also agree that it's confusing - conversations with
people on the phone who want to know which strand is rescued from vectors
with the M13 origin can go on for hours.
______
Paul Riggs
New England Biolabs
riggs at neb.com