DNA Nomenclature

Paul Riggs riggs at neb.com
Fri Mar 11 11:27:14 EST 1994

In article <wgallin.1113196281A at NEWS.SRV.UALBERTA.CA>,
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Warren Gallin) wrote:
> In Article <2l7ket$7j6 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, mjones at crc.ac.uk (Dr. M.D. Jones)
> wrote:

 [stuff deleted]
> >One DNA strand is identical in sequence to mRNA.  This is called the non-coding
> >strand or sense strand.
> >The other complementary strand is thus the coding strand or anti-sense strand.
[more stuff deleted]
> Confusing, I agree.  I always thought that coding strand and sense strand
> were synonymous.  The information being coded is for protein seqeunce, and
> that information is in the sense strand.  Did I miss something in a basic
> lecture?
> Warren Gallin,

In my lab we have this discussion at least once a year. According to Lewin
(Genes II, p88), the coding strand is the one with the same sequence as the
mRNA, thus coding = sense. I like sense and antisense better since they are
more intuitive. I also agree that it's confusing - conversations with
people on the phone who want to know which strand is rescued from vectors
with the M13 origin can go on for hours.
Paul Riggs
New England Biolabs
riggs at neb.com