Advantages of 33-P

John Nash nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Fri Mar 11 09:03:50 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar11.132809.93332 at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>,
 <jost at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>Could anyone out there enlighten me on the advantages of 33-P over 32-P.
>I understand that 33-P is a weaker emitter than 32-P, but apart from that
>are there any other advantages, longer half-life for example.

The half-life is 25.4 days.

>Specifically, we want the use it for primer extension, so if there's anyone
>who's actually used 33-P for this application, I be happy to hear from you.

I use 33P for my primer extensions.  It's a simple replacement for
32P, no hassles, nice bands, etc. I used it with BRL's Superscript II
RT to measure a bacterial transcript.

>Incidently, has anyone seen/done any methods for primer extension using a
>non-radioactively labelled primer.  There are plenty of non-radioactive
>sequencing methods out there.  It would just be a matter of labelling the
>primer with something that wouldn't affect mobility (sure!).

I know it can be done, but if it has to be done next to a sequencing
ladder, I couldn't be bothered blotting a sequencing gel, let alone
the cost of the membrane.

>Helen Jost,
>Microbiology,
>Monash University,
>Australia.

How's the weather back home?

--
John Nash                           (nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca)
Institute for Biological Sciences,  National Research Council of Canada,