Advantages of 33-P

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Fri Mar 11 08:28:40 EST 1994

In a previous article, jost at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au () says:

>Could anyone out there enlighten me on the advantages of 33-P over 32-P.
>I understand that 33-P is a weaker emitter than 32-P, but apart from that
>are there any other advantages, longer half-life for example.

While I use 33-P for end-labeling and sequencing quite a bit (I work in a
lab full of 33-P lovers, so they order it a lot) there is nothing like that
old-time 35-S for sequencing and 32-P for quick autorad exposures.

I find that me 33-P sequencing reactions go to pot after a day or two at
-80 'C.  I have used 33-P in PCR and other applications, and while its an
easy isotope to work with, I have found it necessary to do any work with it
quickly, before those funky bands rear their heads.  With 35-S and 32-P,
those frozen reactions can still be called upon after a few weeks.  32-P is
not the terror some think it to be, its cheap, easy to detect for cleanup,
dies after a few months, and yields the most beautiful 10 min autorads on
the cleanest background slow (blue) films - great for publications.  And
nothing beats the crisp sharpness of a 35-S labeled sequence - lots of
juicy data far, far from thr primer.  Sit comfortably at your desk with
your film on the light box, relax and read those teeny tiny bands farther
and farther up - try that with 33-P and you wont read as far.