Butanol precipitation of phosphorothioate oligonucleotides

Philip L. Carl plc at med.unc.edu
Sat Mar 12 11:26:19 EST 1994

Sorry that the original posting of this message got eaten.  I have been
using the method of butanol precipitation of oligos (Sawadogo and Van
Dyke, Nucleic Acids Res. 19 674 (1991) with reasonable success.  Yields
are usually between 70-80% of the theoretical yield of the synthesis
column which presumably means that the actual precipitation step has a
better yield than that.  However, when I try to precipitate
phosphorothioate oligos the yields are variable and bad (10-40%).  I
assume this reflects the greater solubility of such oligos in the butanol
phase.  Have others had this problem and been able to modify the
precipitation conditions to yield better results?  Thanks.