plastic disposable columns

Song Tan tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 14 10:33:48 EST 1994

In article <57840.a.hanly at cheque.uq.oz.au> "Allison Hanly"
<a.hanly at cheque.uq.oz.au> writes:
>On Fri, 11 Mar 1994 20:15:36 GMT,
>donald seto  <don at helix.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>>princeton separations sells a eppendorf sized disposable G-50 column for
>>purifying fluorescently labeled DNA products for the ABI 373A
>>sequencer-does anyone know where i can buy just the columns?
>
>Biorad sell empty "biospin" columns. These can be used in conjunction with
>a 1.5ml microtube for spin column applications. (They can also be used for
>gravity applications). I don't know if these are suitable for you. The
>exact dimensions are 0.64 x 6cm and they hold upto 1.2ml of chromotography
>media.
>
>cat no: 732-6008 (100 empty columns)

>Allison

Slight tangent to this discussion, but has anyone successfully used these
BioRad biospin columns with plasmid DNA?  I use Sepharose CL-4B or S400 spun
columns as the last step in my plasmid minipreps but when I tried using these
resins in the BioRad biospin columns, I got no DNA back in the spun column
"eluent".  Recovery from the home made spun columns (siliconized glass wool to
plug a Gilson blue tip) was fine, so I attributed the loss to the biospin
columns.  Would be nice to hear others' experiences.

Song Tan
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biophysics
ETH-Honggerberg (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
8093 Zurich, Switzerland
email:  tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch