Silver staining with ampholytes

JOHN PROUDMAN jproudman at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Mon Mar 14 18:10:03 EST 1994

Hi, Lyndon-
I do silver staining of both SDS gels and IEF gels.  The only basic difference
between the two procedures is that with IEF, I first fix the proteins in
20% TCA.  Then the gel is washed in 10% ETOH-5% HAc (which is my first step
for an SDS gel).  Pharmacia sells a silver stain kit which I have used for
both of these procedures, but I now make up my own reagents and they work
just as well.  I suspect that your problem may be solved by first fixing
your proteins with TCA, then using your current silver stain procedure.

Hope this helps.

John