Have you used the DNA dye (SYBR GREEN I) from Molecular Probes?

Hanne Skomedal hanne.skomedal at labmed.uio.no
Tue Mar 15 03:43:42 EST 1994

In article <01H9UED2XZKI009ZC9 at Post-Office.UH.EDU>, pedemonte at JETSON.UH.EDU (carlos h. pedemonte) says:

>Has anybody used the SYBR GREEN I nucleic acid gel stain (S-7567) from
>Molecular Probe? The company claims that this dye is 10 times more
>sensitive than Ethidium bromide. The company does not send samples and the
>price is high. Therefore, I would like to have some information before I
>invest the money. I would appreciate any comment.
>
>carlos
>Carlos H. Pedemonte                     Telephone:  713-743-1211 (office)
>Dept. of Pharmacology                               713-743-1228 (lab)
>University of Houston                   Fax:        713-743-1229
>
>Houston, TX 77204-5515                  e-mail: pedemonte at jetson.uh.edu
>__
>l have tested out the SYBR Green I from Molecular probes. I have found that the dye can
be form 100 to 1000 times stronger (in a 254 nm transilluminator) than Ethidium Bromide on DNA probes or PCR products
from 40 to 200 basepairs. On larger DNA the SYBR Green I stain from 20 to 100 time stronger than
Ethidium Bromide. We have found that there is close to no background when using this dye.
THIS DYE IS A REVOLUTION!!! FOR THE PCR TECHNOLOGY.
I have also more informasjon. My telephone is in Norway 47 22 93 41 94, Fax
47 22 73 01 64.