PCR on phage

Nicola Collie alocin at sanger.otago.ac.nz
Tue Mar 15 17:08:36 EST 1994

Gustavo Glusman (bmgustav at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il) wrote:
> Is there anybody who could give me some advice on how to run PCR directly on
> the supernatant contains phage particle?

I have successfully amplified from both packaged lambda gt10
and from plaque stocks without any modification of my usual PCR
protocol.  Just add 1 ul of supernatant or library to your PCR as
template.  Some workers either boil the phage for a couple of minutes
first, or heat to 70 deg. C for 5 minutes; in my hands this makes very
little difference to yield or specificity.

Hope this helps

Nicola Collie
alocin%sanger at otago.ac.nz