Was: About Pharmacia...... about the cost of equipment manuals

daj (David Johnston) daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 03:17:04 EST 1994

On Tue, 15 Mar 1994 14:30:13 -060,
  Ding Ming writes:

>In article <Dress-150394100618 at chuck.biosci.arizona.edu>,
>Dress at biosci.arizona.edu (Virginia Dress) wrote:
>

>> Pharmacia also describes a silver-staining technique in  the Phast-gel
>> system
>> manual, they may have a separate technical bulletin they'd send you
>> (probably
>> not for free, they are real tightwads).
>
>You are right. I have been a Pharmacia customer since 1982, long time
>before they took over LKB, and we bought a lot of stuff from them in
>hundreds of thousand dollars. I have this feeling that they are realy
>stingy recently.
>
>Two weeks ago, I called their customer service to ask for a FPLC
>instruction manual for two reasons:1)our original manual was lost; 2)we are
>planning to buy a new one. The lady on the phone told me that I should
>receive it within 10 to 15 days although I asked for express delivery.
>Yesterday, a lady from Pharmacia called me again and told me that there
>will be no manual for me but I can order one from them and it costs $17. I
>immediately cancelled the $25,000 order and  certainly, Pharmacia saved $17
>overall:>.

Thats cheap! How about #140 for ABI Genescan manual, #72 for ABI #373A
manual, #42 for ABI sequencing quick reference guide! We have just
purchased a 373A to serve 2 research groups and each wanted their own
set of manuals.... OUCH!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)