About Pharmacia......

Virginia Dress Dress at biosci.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:44:09 EST 1994

In article <ming-150394143013 at sweetprotein.ahabs.wisc.edu>,
ming at ahabs.wisc.edu (Ding Ming) wrote:

> In article <Dress-150394100618 at chuck.biosci.arizona.edu>,
> Dress at biosci.arizona.edu (Virginia Dress) wrote:
>

> > Pharmacia also describes a silver-staining technique in  the Phast-gel
> > system
> > manual, they may have a separate technical bulletin they'd send you
> > (probably
> > not for free, they are real tightwads).
>
> You are right. I have been a Pharmacia customer since 1982, long time
> before they took over LKB, and we bought a lot of stuff from them in
> hundreds of thousand dollars. I have this feeling that they are realy
> stingy recently.
>
> Two weeks ago, I called their customer service to ask for a FPLC
> instruction manual for two reasons:1)our original manual was lost; 2)we are
> planning to buy a new one. The lady on the phone told me that I should
> receive it within 10 to 15 days although I asked for express delivery.
> Yesterday, a lady from Pharmacia called me again and told me that there
> will be no manual for me but I can order one from them and it costs $17. I
> immediately cancelled the $25,000 order and  certainly, Pharmacia saved $17
> overall:>.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Ding Ming
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Telephone: (608)265-3544     Fax: (608)262-7420
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hooray for you! I hope you let Pharmacia know that you cancelled a HUGE
$$$$
order because they were pimping you over for a $17 manual.  Perhaps your
sales
rep could have been of help, it varies a lot.
They used to send out for free these nice little booklets on
chromatography,
Ion Exchange, Gel Filtration etc., which had nice, simple, practical
information
on what you needed to know to do a basic column.  But these are no longer
free,
they charge you, or if you buy LOTS of column stuff from them they will
give them to you.  I wonder how much they've lost by becoming tightwads
about these
little booklets.
Also, they charge an awful lot for their equipment and it seems that every
piece
has this one little part that breaks on a regular basis (planned
obsolescence),
like for the spiral fraction collectors it's the tube sensor.  Of course,
they
only break DURING a run and when the tube sensor goes out your fractions go

down the toilet.
Perhaps everyone who has had a problem with Pharmacia should copy the above

message, sign it and send it to Pharmacia.  Might not change their policies
but it would sure make me feel better.  So I will start the ball rolling, I
am going to send the above message to Pharmacia (Ding Ming -- do you want
your
name and address deleted???? Let me know)  I hope you will all do the same,
Ralph Nader would be proud.

Virginia Dress
dress at biosci.arizona.edu
U of AZ