{DNA isolation from plant cell

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Sat Mar 19 00:56:55 EST 1994

In <CMssFn.630 at ucdavis.edu>, ez008413 at dale.ucdavis.edu (Gabby Romero) writes:
>Could anybody please help me with DNA isolation from plant culture cells?
>I have tried the CTAB method as usually done for plant tissues eg.
>leaves, although I did not freeze the cells in liquid nitrogen prior to
>grinding.  I used about 7 g fresh weight of the culture cells (rice) but
>didn't see any sign of yield after addition of isopropanol.  I haven't
>proceeded since.

Two points. First, could you send me or post the references for your CTAB procedure,
as there are two different ones (1 rigorous, 1 simple). Second, when you use any
similar procedure with plant LEAVES, the grinding in LN2 must NOT be omitted. I
realize that if your cultured cells are finely dispersed, they'll be hard to grind;
but unless you have spheroplasted them, how will you break open the cell wall?

P.
|  Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
|  Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
|  University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
|  2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |