Carborundum and transfer of high MW molecules

Andrew Cockburn afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
Fri Mar 18 09:06:58 EST 1994

In article <0097B869.C68D9E44 at aesop.rutgers.edu>, kirtikara at aesop.rutgers.edu
writes:
> I'm looking for methods to transfer high MW molecules such as small
> peptides  into INTACT plant and fungal cells.  Someone mentioned the use
> of Carborundum.  Could anyone please provide me with more informations
> about this?  And is there other methods

<my editor ate the rest, it doesn't like articles with no returns>

> Thanks in advance.
> 			Kanya Kirtikara
> 			Kirtikara at aesop.rutgers.edu

Carborundum is silicon carbide grit.  One source is sandpaper at your local
hardware store.  I have been told that plant virologists just rub some grit
and virus on leaves to introduce it.

We have published a technique using silicon carbide whiskers to transform
intact plant cells.  Whiskers are tiny needles, but other than shape they
are similar to grit.  Just mix the solution, whiskers, and cells in a
test tube and vortex for a minute.  (Kaeppler et al., Theor.Appl.Genet.
84:560-566; Plant Cell Reports 9:415-418).

This has also worked for transformation of several other plants, it should
get your peptide in.

Andrew Cockburn
USDA/ARS

(Shamelessly promoting our work.)