How low can you go (Nuc Acid pellets)?

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Sat Mar 19 13:43:33 EST 1994

In article <2md9fd$qi7 at lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>
davidlee at whitman.ccs.itd.umich.edu (David Sang-shin Lee) writes:

>I was wondering....When precipitating DNA or RNA, how little nucleic acid
>can you have before the pellet (after centrifugation) becomes so small
>it's invisible?

I have never systematically studied this, but I do know that my wife and
I call these invisible entities "faith pellets" :-)

I hate faith pellets; I use tRNA or glycogen whenever possible, but there
are many, many situations where these coprecipitants cannot be used.

Jim

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS