DNA Extraction from methanol preserved gastropods

Andrew McArthur AMCARTHU at UVVM.UVIC.CA
Wed Mar 23 23:47:18 EST 1994

We have just been contacted by some German colleagues working off-shore
of New Zealand.  They have dredged some gastropods we may want to use in
our molecular work.  However, for some unknown reason they are poorly
equipped for preserving specimens.  Some are being preserved in Vodka which
is fine, we know how to get DNA out of that.  Others are being preserved
in methanol.  I have searched the BIOSCI archives and have not found anything
on methanol preservation of invertebrates.  Does anyone know if getting
quality (ie. PCRable) DNA out of methanol preserved invertebrates presents
any problems?  Does anyone have any protocols to suggest?  Thanks for your
time.

Andrew McArthur
Department of Biology
University of Victoria