Capillary electrophoresis of proteins

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Mar 23 19:10:57 EST 1994

I'm considering the use of capillary electrophoresis for analysis of protein
samples. When using the Quanta 4000E system from Waters Chromotography
(Millipore), they recommend adding a proprietary reagent known as Accupure Z-1
Methyl Reagent which they will gladly sell for $350.00 US/ 50gm. They also do
not hide the chemical structure, disclosing it during their seminars (I like
them already -> complete honesty from a biotech company is a nice breath of
fresh air). This component eliminates protein binding to the inner walls of the
fused silica capillary by competing for binding sites. Without this additive,
peaks tend to broaden or tail, and eventually peaks will hang due to retained
contaminating proteins. There are other chemicals that will do the same thing.
What I'm looking for is a list of such chemicals as additives so I can decide
which I like best. If anyone is using this technique or knows of a review of
additives, please contact me. Thanks.